How to Keep Active During Lock-down whilst having a toddler
Jun, 16 2020
Having children can certainly make your life more interesting. Since lockdown parents have tried every trick in the book to keep their young ones entertained till bedtime.
But what if you‘ve become a parent in the last couple of years. You’ll be experiencing that awkward ‘terrible two’ toddler year.
Perhaps you’ve been neglecting yourself and giving more attention to the smaller person in the room. Despite having children, exercise is vital. Here are a variety of tried and tested methods of a busy mother’s attempts to exercise whilst having a toddler:-
- Using the turbo - home gym equipment
- Workouts found online or through social media
- Yoga classes followed by a run once a day exercise
- Keeping the house clean
- Working each day
In the end many parents have found that exercise was actually more of a stressor that it was a relief.
The following are some top tips that will help you to keep active during lockdown whilst having a toddler at home:-
- Give in! It isn’t always possible and achievable in the time – don’t hold it against yourself and make yourself feel guilty
- Short bursts – 10 squats after changing his nappy, walking down the garden and doing some lunges instead, 5 minute jog when you get a break – it feels totally pointless at the time but if you remember to keep doing it, it all adds up.
- Use nap time – to do what makes you HAPPY and feel good
- Get a running buggy – total lifesaver if you like running or walking. They are often for sale second hand and you can pick up some great bargains.
- Be creative and don’t feel you have to stick to a routine – set new goals that are realistic to the current situation.
One vital thing you need to remember during this period - it isn’t forever. You will come out of this stronger, more resilient and able to juggle so much more in life than in previous years. Use this time as an opportunity to develop yourself physically and mentally. Challenge yourself - but not too much and above all be there for your toddler, they need you more than anyone or anything right now.
^Alex Ashworth CCG UK Blogger