Preston City Council
Location: Preston | UK
Preston City Council is a district council, working alongside Lancashire County Council as part of a two-tier local government system.
What Preston City Coul does
The council spends more than £100million a year providing a range of public services from pest control to planning. It is one of the largest employers in the area with 996 employees.
During an average year, the council:
- Collects rubbish from approx 60,500 households every week
- Regularly inspects more than 1,350 food premises in the area
- Cleans all Preston's streets, collecting 16,000 tonnes of litter each year
- Recycles and composts 16,000 tonnes of rubbish
- Maintains more than 550 hectares of parks and open spaces
- Runs two leisure centres, with almost one million people using the facilities every year
- Hosts more than 300 shows, events and attractions at the Guild Hall
- Handles around 80,000 enquiries at the Tourist Information Centre
- Has a wide collection of artwork and local historical treasures on display at the Harris Museum and Art Gallery