The Impact of the Pandemic on the Media Industry
Dates: 26 Nov 2020 - 26 Nov 2020
It’s 6pm and the tea time bulletin has just been announced. It all looks so neat and tidy, competent and organised, but what happens behind the scenes? Consider the preparation the media crew undergo to make sure the nation has received the latest news not a minute, day or hour late. Has there been a strain on the media profession during 2020 and if so what help is out there and what options are available for anyone considering a job in this field of work?
This Thursday 26th November 2020 UCLAN are hosting a virtual event entitled ‘The Impact of the Pandemic on the Media Industry’. It will take place online between the hours of 3pm-4.30pm.
Richard Lawson, Senior Broadcast Journalist at BBC Radio 5 Live will be chairing the discussion with a panel of media industry professionals.
The panel consists of the following four leading people in the world of media:-
- Kamila Rymajdo, i-D's Northern Correspondent for Music and Popular Culture
- Matt Cleary, Head of Production, Drama and Continuing Drama at ITV Studios
- Anatasia Bates, Broadcast Journalist at Sky News
- Ed Walker, Audience and Content Director at Reach Plc
Three topics will be covered, with a Q&A with the audience following each:-
- Section One:-How's the pandemic affected the media industry?
- Section Two :-What opportunities has this crisis thrown up?
- Section Three:- How can you start a career in the media right now?
The webinar will be on Microsoft Teams and is expected to last for around 90 minutes. A joining link will be sent via email ahead of the event to all who register to attend.
If you wish to ask the panel a question, you need to consider these guidelines:-
- Questions from the online audience will be accepted in two ways: via text in the Teams chat box and via the Teams hands up system, where you will be invited in to turn on your mic and camera to ask the question directly to the panel.
- - When joining the event, please turn off your mic and camera.
- - Teams allows you to pin the industry panel members to your screen. Simply right click on each panel member you want to pin and select 'pin'. Same goes for the BSL interpreters.
Please note:-This event is free to attend but you will have to register. You can do so by accessing the following website link:- https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-impact-of-the-pandemic-on-the-media-industry-registration-123664486809
Even if you have little or no knowledge about the media industry, don’t worry - this online event is open to all - students, staff, industry and the general public.
UCLAN’S Creative Innovation Zone hosts a webinar with an industry panel discussing the impact of the pandemic on the media sector: challenges, opportunities and careers, with Q&A.
^Alex Ashworth CCG Art Blogger